Month Archives: November 2018

'Want to shop online? Best have a mobile signal'
Calander

Want to shop online? Best have a mobile signal

Image copyright Getty Images As millions start their Christmas shopping online, there's a warning that consumers may need to have a mobile phone, and a decent signal, to make sure their transactions go through. UK banks are starting to introduce a new layer of security, involving passwords sent to your mobile phone. That could be a problem for hundreds of thousands of householders without a mobile, or no proper signal. Now banks are being urged to find other ways to check a customer's identity. The new rules are part of an EU directive - already adopted by the UK - which is due to come into force by September 2019. But critics say many people are likely to be inconvenienced. "Banks are not yet great at looking after people at the margins - because they're disabled, or because they live with no mobile coverage," said James Daley, the managing director of Fairer Finance. "These systems are designed for the 95% - while the remaining 5% are hung out to dry." How does the ne..

'
Calander

‘I got paid less than my colleagues for doing the same work’

Connor McCann works in a BT call centre in Canterbury but despite doing the same role as his colleagues was paid thousands less a year. That's because the 24-year-old was employed by agency Manpower and not BT. "It didn't matter how good you are at your job, you're still being paid less than your colleagues," he said. New research finds the 950,000 UK workers employed through an agency, like Mr McCann, earn more than £400 a year less than those employed directly. The Resolution Foundation figure includes wages as well as other benefits such as unclaimed holiday or sick pay, and deductions for uniforms. That's more than the number of people on zero-hours contracts, according to the think-tank. "I was speaking to the exact same customers and selling the exact same products, so it felt really unfair," Mr McCann said. "It meant I struggled to move out of my family home. I struggled with my bills and my social life, too." 'Unaware of rights'Lindsay Judge, s..

'Microsoft beats Apple for biggest market value'
Calander

Microsoft beats Apple for biggest market value

Image copyright Reuters Image caption Bill Gates founded Microsoft. The firm's fortunes have rebounded in recent years Microsoft has unseated Apple to rank as the world's most valuable listed company, reclaiming the number one spot after more than 15 years. The software giant ended Friday with a market value of more than $851bn (£668bn) compared with Apple's $847bn. The two firms have been vying for top place all week, with Apple remaining ahead at the end of each trading day. But the iPhone maker, which has seen its share price plunge in recent weeks, finally lost its lead. On Friday, Microsoft shares gained more than 0.6% to close at $110.89, while Apple shares finished at $178.60, down about 0.5%. Apple's shares have fallen almost 25% since October - more steeply than the market overall - amid concerns about slowing smart phone demand and the possibility of additional US tariffs on Chinese-made goods. The sell-off has erased more than $200bn from the firm's..

1 2 123
Page 1 of 123