News

East Belfast murder investigation after ‘barbaric’ attack

Police are carrying out searches on the Newtownards Road in east Belfast

Image caption

Police are carrying out searches on the Newtownards Road in east Belfast

A murder investigation is under way after an attack on a 45-year-old man in east Belfast.

He has been named locally as Ian Ogle. The assault happened at Cluan Place, off the Albertbridge Road, at about 21:00 GMT on Sunday.

Police searches, believed to be linked to the investigation, are taking place on lower Newtownards Road.

Less than a mile from the murder scene, the PSNI have cordoned off an area near Pitt Place and put up a security tent.

Image copyright
Empics

DUP councillor George Dorrian, who knew the victim, said he had been told he was beaten by a group of people in a “barbaric attack”.

He said people “couldn’t believe the level of violence” involved.

Cluan Place is closed and an area of about a quarter of a mile remains closed between the Albertbridge Road and Templemore Avenue on the footpath.


At the scene, Mark Simpson, BBC Newsline reporter

Image caption

Police are carrying out searches in Pitt Place, east Belfast

I’ve been told the circumstances of this attack were horrific.

He was taken to hospital, but it was too late.

It’s like a scene from the old days, with a very extensive police cordon.

A bus stop is within the police cordon and school children were forced to wait elsewhere.

Parts of Cluan Place, Albertbridge Road and Templemore Avenue are still being searched by police.

There is a heavy police presence in the area.


Police have appealed for any witnesses to come forward.

Source

neallesh@yahoo.co.uk

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.