Jodie Chesney murder: Svenson Ong-a-Kwie and 17-year-old boy guilty

Jodie Chesney

Image caption

Jodie Chesney was weeks away from completing her Gold Duke of Edinburgh Award when she was stabbed to death

Two teenagers have been found guilty of murdering 17-year-old Jodie Chesney in a park in east London.

Jodie was stabbed in the back as she socialised with friends in Harold Hill, Romford, on 1 March.

Drug dealer Svenson Ong-a-Kwie, 19, and a 17-year-old boy were both convicted of murder following an eight-week trial at the Old Bailey.

Manuel Petrovic, 20, of Romford, and a 16-year-old boy were both cleared of murder and manslaughter.

  • Live: Jodie Chesney murder trial verdicts

The jury spent less than six hours deliberating their verdicts on all four defendants.

Judge Wendy Joseph QC said Ong-a-Kwie and the 17-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, would be sentenced on 18 November.

Image copyright
Met Police

Image caption

The 17-year-old was stabbed once in the back while she was socialising with friends in Amy’s Park

Following the guilty verdicts, Det Ch Insp Dave Whellams, of Scotland Yard, said the murder of “girl next door” Jodie murder had “shocked a nation”.

He added: “It could have been anybody’s daughter. She was a very nice girl, she had a small circle of friends, she did well at school, worked in the community.

“They have gone there purposefully to stab somebody and they have not cared who they stabbed. They stabbed a 17-year-old girl in the back for no reason.”

Image copyright
Met Police

Image caption

Witnesses described Amy’s Park as being ‘very dark’ at the time of the attack on Jodie Chesney

Throughout the trial it was never disputed that Ong-a-Kwie and the teenager were the two people who went into Amy’s Park on the night Jodie was stabbed.

The pair blamed each other for the stabbing, while Ong-a-Kwie admitted burning his clothes with a cigarette lighter.

Jurors heard Jodie had her back to her attackers and the knife almost passed through her body.

After being stabbed the teenager screamed and fell into the arms of her boyfriend Eddie Coyle, the court was told.

Image copyright
Julia Quenzler

Image caption

Jodie’s boyfriend Eddie Coyle described the motion the attacker used to stab her

Frantic efforts were made to save her but she was pronounced dead in a petrol station in Gants Hill about an hour later.

Prosecutor Crispin Aylett QC told the jury Jodie was “a victim of a brutal act of unprovoked violence”.

He described the girl’s death as “another example” of the “terrible consequences of the carrying and using of knives”.

“It seems every day now in our city another young life is lost to a knife,” he said.

During his evidence, Mr Petrovic admitted driving the group to Harold Hill but denied any knowledge of what happened in Amy’s Park.

He told jurors he was “glad he was arrested because he had nothing to hide”.


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.